Carly Hirvela 

My name is Carly Hirvela and I am a student at Texas Christian University, class of 2016. I am a Marketing major and Psychology minor. Fall of 2013 I began the BNSF Next Generation Leadership Program within the Neeley School of Business. Through this program I have learned valuable leadership skills, how to hold crucial conversations, and how to effectively work on and manage a team.

My hobbies include swimming, scuba diving, and traveling. I have now been to eleven countries, and hope to visit more soon. In summer of 2013 I went on Cultural Pathways 2, which was a travel abroad experience to Poland, Hungary, and Czech Republic through the John V. Roach Honors College. The Honors College has provided numerous opportunities for me at TCU, including smaller class sizes, outstanding advisors, membership on Honors Cabinet and Milton Daniel Hall Crew, resources for classes, and travel abroad opportunities.

I have had the opportunity to work as a Go Purple Friday Street Team Intern, ePortfolio eTern, and Facility and Aquatic Manger Intern at Stonebridge Ranch Country Club.

I am also actively involved in my sorority on campus, Alpha Chi Omega. In fall of 2013 I was the Vice President of Intellectual Development and responsible for scholarship among our chapter. I am currently serving as the Chapter Resident Assistant in the Alpha Chi Omega house and help enforce and uphold university guidelines. Our national philanthropy is to promote awareness for domestic violence. We work closely with the Women’s Center in Fort Worth. I hope that during my time at TCU I can make a difference.

This quote has inspired me to push myself beyond my comfort zone. There are so many things in life that can seem impossible before you take a leap of faith and try it. I have learned to have 20 seconds of courage and bravery in uncomfortable situations. Over the past year, I have been learning to hold crucial conversations in the BNSF Next Generation Leadership Program courses and it takes a large amount of courage to initiate a conversation when stakes are high and emotions are varied. However, the benefits of holding these conversations and take a leap of courage have paid off exponentially in developing and maintaining relationships.