Auschwitz

When you think of Eastern Europe, what is one of the first things that come to mind? I thought about Auschwitz when I found out I was coming on this trip. Auschwitz is one of those things that I don’t know how to feel about after seeing it. I hated seeing all of the pain and suffering that occurred at this place, yet I am grateful I got to experience it. Looking back on the trip, an overwhelming majority of the history we learned centered on WWII. I consider Auschwitz one of the iconic images of Eastern Europe, especially Poland in particular.

Auschwitz was probably my biggest wow moments on the trip. I had no idea what I was getting myself into and I still don’t know if I fully understand what I witnessed. I was completely mute for over three hours, which definitely does not happen often. The amount of history preserved in that place is horrifying. It is a representation of all of the concentration camps throughout Europe in the 40’s. it is scary to think that Auschwitz was only one of many concentration camps. I cannot even fathom being placed in one of those camps.

I asked a few locals what Auschwitz meant to them and got similar answers. They all said it is a place to remember. Even if it may be hard to think about, or something you may not want to remember, that it’s important to remember for all those who died. It’s hard to accept such cruelty occurred, but by remembering we are respecting those who passed and were separated from their families.

Locals still seem to be sensitive to what happened during WWII. In Poland, whenever you look around on the streets you seldom see a smile or chipper face. It is a part of their culture to look towards the ground while they walk. This is partially due to all of the hard times Poland has faced as a country. I found it interesting that while on this trip, the group has been told we have an “American smile" wherever we go. Smiling is not as customary in Poland as in America. This has not influenced me personally too much; I’m still smiling while having fun in Europe! :)