I’m being asked to pick one single favorite place of this entire trip… Impossible! How could I pick just one?! We have traveled through three countries for three weeks and I am supposed to pick one single activity? Crazy! I’ll have to settle for three.

In Poland, I had two favorite days and they were back to back. Day 9 was when we went to the salt mines and then Auschwitz. I really enjoyed being 130 meters below ground and experiencing amazing cathedral, figurines, and walls made of pure salt. Auschwitz needs no more explanation; it was a very eye-opening day. Day 10 was when we went to Zakopane. I loved seeing the incredible views, going across the highly sketchy ropes course, and hiking up to the waterfall.

My other favorite day was day 13 in Budapest. This was the day that we did the Buda side of the mountain and went to Margret Island. The views at the top of the hill were some of the greatest sights I’ve ever seen. At Margret Island we played bumper cars with our bikes and had a wonderful afternoon biking around the town. We also went to a traditional folk dancing show and dinner cruise that evening.

I could go on and on about my favorite activities of the trip, but I am forced to limit myself. I value the three days above for all different reasons. The salt mines were a new experience for me. I’ve never seen anything that amazing before. Auschwitz was one of the biggest learning moments of the trip. I devolved a much deeper sense of empathy during our visit and a greater understanding of the harsh conditions of concentration camps. Zakopane day was a nice relief and day in the mountains after the heavy day at Auschwitz. The hiking gave me time to clear my mind and reflect upon what we saw at the largest concentration camp in Europe. The Budapest day was a blast because we learned a lot of history in the morning but still had a light, fun afternoon in the park. This was the over half way mark in the trip, and a day in the park was nice and relaxing. The dinner cruise ended the night in a fun, special way.

Studying abroad in Eastern Europe has truly broaden my horizons. I have grown as a person and believe I am living out the TCU mission statement “to think and act as ethical leaders and responsible citizens in the global community." This trip has made me much more culturally aware of the differences that exist all over the world. Although we were visiting Europe, we often saw other tourist as well from all around the world. I learned to break down language barriers and overcome cultural differences. I learned how to read a map, navigate the city, and utilize public transportation. I learned that you have to pay for the bathroom, water and refills in Europe. I learned you can’t walk on cobblestone without looking at the ground or else you WILL trip and may or may not eat it… I learned a lot about the people on this trip with me and how much we all have in common. I’ve learned a good chunk of the highlights of Eastern European history. I’ve learned how to drop zlots and buy lody daily for the best deals. I’ve learned how to open my mind and be more receptive of other people’s beliefs and opinions. I’ve learned that Dr. Jones and Lauren are brave for embarking on this journey with college students and so understanding of everything we need. I’ve learned that you can’t always be the leader and you can’t always be a follower. I’ve learned how to make Pierogi’s, crepes, and a traditional Hungarian stew. I’ve learned how much I am obsessed with lemons. I’ve learned that you can’t always work on your own schedule. I’ve learned that not everyone is as lucky as I am. I’ve learned about how students in different cultures live. I’ve learned how to be humble. I’ve learned to appreciate what I have. I’ve learned that I love traveling the world. I’ve learned more than I ever thought I could on this trip.

Now the question is what’s next? I honestly can’t answer this question yet, but I hope to travel abroad again. TCU students are so lucky to have a plethora of study abroad opportunities. I hope I can share my experience with other honors students and encourage them to take advantage of this opportunity. I know this trip will help me tremendously in the future. The intrapersonal and interpersonal skills I have learned will really help me in group activities. The benefits I have received from this trip would fill a never ending list. Sometimes you don’t even realize how much something like this will help until you stumble upon a special circumstance. I know I am bond to find many of these instances in the near future. I hope I have the opportunity to do something like this again sometime!!!