Participant in the Global Community

Here, I showcase my ability to appreciate the interconnectedness of society, culture, and individual identity, as well as my knowing and understanding the impact of world religions, worldviews, and cultural frameworks.

My proposed profession, nuclear engineering, has global implications. The people I would come into contact with will come from different institutions, different countries, and even different continents. The world of today is formed from a patchwork of societies. These societies can carry different views on nuclear energy. For instance, in France, Belgium, and Slovakia, nuclear energy carries a positive connotation of reliable power, providing more than half of each country’s power requirements. However, in other cultures, nuclear energy conjures up negative ideas. Words and phrases such as Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima cast a dark shadow on the profession as well. I have spent time researching the history of my profession throughout the world, and I continue to stay up-to-date on the state of nuclear energy throughout the world through both news media and personal contacts in the profession. Understanding these differences will be one of the keys to successfully navigate the global society of the 21st century.